|Also known as:||N/A.|
|Voiced by:||Teri Hatcher (movie) & Amanda Troop (video game).|
|Appearances:||Movie & books & video game.|
Mel Jones is the mother of Mrs. Jones and the wife of Charlie Jones. She is constantly seen very busy and have little time for her daughter as per her job as a gardening catalogue editor.
Plot Appearance Edit
- An excerpt from the main article: Coraline (filmography)
From what has been depicted, Mel leaves the cooking to her husband, Charlie though not well at it, as she does the cleaning. Being the busy mother and wife she is, at the start she barely gives much attention to her daughter, while keeping up with her responsibilities as a gardening catalogue editor.
As begged by Coraline, Mel was the one who opened the door first, out of the annoyance for her daughter whom was pestering her from her work and wouldn't stop otherwise if she didn't open the door. However, opening and discovered a brick wall covering the pathway, she locked it again and hid the key after finding rat feces near it.
After Coraline escaped from the other world, she and her husband were kidnapped by the the beldam and were trapped in the other world. They asked for Coraline's help through the mirror in the hallway of the real world and was later revealed to be trapped in the snow globe on the other world's mantle piece. After Coraline saved them, they came back in the real world without any recollection of the events that took place.
In response to the promise she made with her daughter, Mel bought Coraline the colorful gloves she wanted in Linden's Uniform, from the time they went shopping for Coraline's school clothes. She later becomes more attentive of her daughter as depicted in the last moments of the film.
- An excerpt from the main article: Coraline (books)
This section requires expanding with knowledge derived from the books.
Mel has a brace around her neck from a truck crash Coraline mentioned at the beginning of the film.
Video Game Edit
- An excerpt from the main article: Coraline (video game)
This section requires expanding with knowledge derived from the video game.
Although very busy with her work as a gardening catalogue editor, Mel loves Coraline very much despite the lack of time and attention she gives her daughter as depicted when Coraline shared to her that she almost fell in a well. As a mother, she cares deeply for her daughter and even tried to make it up to her by telling Coraline that she could pick something she liked in the grocery store, but was very dismayed when Coraline was still upset with her and denied.
These quotes are all said in chronological order.
- "I don't have time for you, right now."
- "We made a deal. Zip It."
- "We've been through this before, your dad cooks, I clean, and you stay out of the way."
- '"You only dreamed you ate all that chicken."
- "If the real Charlie Jones wants his pages edited, he better wrap them up ASAP."
- "Maybe she should buy all your clothes."
- "Oh no, you’ve broke my favorite snow globe."
- "What’s gotten into you, Coraline?"
- She cleans while her husband cooks.
- On her cell phone, the ghost children can be seen on the screen.
- She hates wasting time.